PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Firefighters snuffed out a fire at 99 Second Street Monday afternoon.
According to Deputy Chief Daniel Garner, firefighters responded to the address at 12:45 p.m. and found "moderate smoke condition" in apartment 104. A thermostat unit had failed, causing it to set on fire.
The plastic melted and then dripped and set carpeting, trim, and a portion of the wall to ignite. Firefighters evacuated the north wing of the first floor and extinguished the blaze with portable extinguishers.
There were no injuries reported and the fire was estimated to cause less than $1,000 worth of damage.
Pittsfield.com welcomes critical, respectful dialogue. Name-calling, personal attacks, libel, slander or foul language is not allowed. All comments are reviewed before posting and will be deleted or edited as necessary.