|Tanglewood Wraps Up Virtual Season|
|By Stephen Dankner, Guest Columist|
05:21AM / Tuesday, August 18, 2020
|Tanglewood is wrapping up its virtual summer 2020 season - with hopes of meeting again in person in 2021.|
The Tanglewood 2020 Online Festival will enter its eighth and final week with a broad selection of state-of-the-art digital audio and video streams. These performances were recorded at Tanglewood’s dramatic spaces at the superbly designed Linde Center – a constituent part of the BSO's/Tanglewood’s new entity, the Tanglewood Learning Institute. Other concerts will include performances previously recorded and archived by the Boston Symphony Orchestra at Tanglewood.
A unique, all-encompassing digital music festival, the wide range of programming replicates a choice selection of the previously announced 2020 live performances Tanglewood had hoped to present this summer, but which had to be cancelled due to the coronavirus.
Here is this final week’s schedule of streamed events, from Wednesday, Aug. 19, through Tuesday, Aug. 23.
New content, recorded especially for the online festival:
• Aug. 19, 8 p.m.: Recitals from the World Stage featuring pianist Garrick Ohlsson in an all-Beethoven program, hosted by Karen Allen.
• Aug. 21, 8 p.m.: BSO Musicians in Concert with violinists Julianne Lee and Lisa Kim, violists Steven Ansell and Rebecca Gitter, and cellist Oliver Aldort performing music by Mozart and Schubert and Daniel Bernard Roumain's "Filter" for solo violin, hosted by Lauren Ambrose.
• Aug. 22, 8 p.m.: Great Performers in Recital featuring violinist Joshua Bell and pianist Jeremy Denk in an all-Beethoven program, hosted by Nicole Cabell.
New Tanglewood Learning Institute content:
• Aug. 19, 1 p.m.: TLI MasterPass featuring a vocal master class with members of the Tanglewood Festival Chorus and singer and TMC Vocal Arts Chair Dawn Upshaw.
• Aug. 20, 1 p.m.: TLI ShopTalks with Boston Pops Conductor Keith Lockhart and BSO Associate Principal Horn Gus Sebring in a candid conversation.
Featured retrospective content:
• Aug. 17, 8 p.m.: Tanglewood Music Center Orchestra Encore Performances (July 2019) of Act III from Wagner's “Die Walküre,” with Christine Goerke (Brünnhilde) and James Rutherford (Wotan) conducted by Andris Nelsons, hosted by Stefan Asbury.
• Aug. 18, 8 p.m.: The Best of Tanglewood on Parade, a free video stream of highlights from past Tanglewood on Parade concerts featuring the Boston Symphony, Boston Pops, and Tanglewood Music Center orchestras, as well as the Tanglewood Festival Chorus and Boston Symphony Children’s Choir in selections led by conductors Andris Nelsons, Keith Lockhart, John Williams, James Burton, and Seiji Ozawa, hosted by James Taylor.
• Aug. 23, 2:30 p.m.: BSO Encore Performances (August 2019) of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony with conductor Giancarlo Guerrero, soprano Nicole Cabell, mezzo-soprano J'Nai Bridges, tenor Nicholas Phan, bass Morris Robinson, and Tanglewood Festival Chorus, hosted by Jamie Bernstein.
For more information and for prices and access to all video or audio streaming concerts, lectures and special events, go online or call 888-266-1200.