Not a member? Become one today!
         iBerkshires     Berkshire Chamber     Berkshire Community College     City of Pittsfield    
Appleton Ave. Fire Caused by Candle, Aquarium
08:28AM / Wednesday, June 22, 2022
Print | Email  

PITTSFIELD, Mass. — Firefighters responded to a minor fire at 124-126 Appleton Ave that caused fire and smoke damage in a first-floor apartment.
Firefighters responded to the fire on Monday, June 22 at 12:30 am on. The caller reported that the two-story, four-family home was filling up with smoke.
Upon arrival, the inhabitants were actively evacuating. Firefighters were directed to a downstairs apartment to find a resident who was not answering pleas to evacuate.
When firefighters entered the apartment they found the resident trying to extinguish a fire with black smoke form floor to ceiling.
The resident was immediately taken to safety, and it was discovered that the source of the smoke was coming from the top of an aquarium. The resident had fallen asleep with a candle burning atop his aquarium. The candle melted and ignited the plastic top of the aquarium.
The candle eventually burned through the top of the aquarium and self-extinguished when it fell into the water. However, before this, it filled the first and second-floor apartments with thick black smoke.
Residents in the other apartments happened to be awake and were alerted by detectors. They immediately tried to wake other tenants after calling 911.
Firefighters assisted with salvage and ventilation
The tenant inhaled smoke and was evaluated but refused treatment and transport. 
The Red Cross assisted the one Tennent with alternate housing. The other tenets were allowed to return home. 
More Featured Stories is owned and operated by: Boxcar Media 106 Main Sreet, P.O. Box 1787 North Adams, MA 01247 -- T. 413-663-3384 F.413-664-4251
© 2008 Boxcar Media LLC - All rights reserved